Marco Polo was a tremendous admirer of Kublai Khan and of his Genghisid legacy more generally. This episode, we explore that admiration, the character of Kublai, and the anecdote of the treacherous minister.
- The Travels of Marco Polo, the Venetian, translated by William Marsden, edited by Thomas Wright. George Bell & Sons, 1907.
- Larner, John. Marco Polo and the Discovery of the World. Yale University Press, 1999.
- Man, John. Marco Polo: The Journey that Changed the World. HarperCollins, 2009.
- Olschki, Leonardo. Marco Polo’s Asia. University of California Press, 1960.
- Rossabi, Morris. Khubilai Khan: His Life and Times. University of California Press, 1988.